Have your bookshelves become an eyesore rather than the important design element they should be? Bookshelves often end up becoming a catch-all for unrelated objects. With a little bit of planning and the creative use of accessories they can become an important design feature. Here are some tips for how to arrange bookshelves.
– If you have matched sets of books then put them together on the lower shelves, stacked side by side, to create a solid foundation. If you do not have matched sets, then group books of similar size together on the bottom shelf.
– On the middle shelves arrange groupings that include accessories and books. The accessories could include a small piece of art on an easel, decorative plates or bowls, candles, statues or other collectables.
– For added interest make sure each grouping includes a variety of heights. Lay a couple of small books down on their side, next to a tall vase or candle holder. Also try to include a variety of shapes.
– Add color with candles or plants to your groupings. Include a variety of textures including wood and glass and metal all in one grouping.
– If you have oversized books too tall for the shelf they can be placed flat with other books stacked on top of them.
– All of the books should be brought to the front edge of the shelf for a neat, uniformed look.
– It is usually a good idea to remove the dust jackets and display the books binding.
– Use the top one or two shelves to display art or other accent pieces. This will help create a balanced display.
An organized and balanced arrangement can make your bookshelves a beautiful design element. Keep them feeling fresh by using seasonal items as part of the presentation. Click here to see ideas for decorating with accessories.
Interior Decorator Rose Duffy began her business Rose Interiors in Staten Island, New York 20 years ago. In addition to helping her clients decorate their homes she offers ideas and products in her on-line store at [http://www.roseinteriors.com]
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Rose_Duffy/259064
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1910858