HomeGarden40 Backyard Hammock Ideas For Relaxation
40 Backyard Hammock Ideas For Relaxation
Everybody loves the image of lying in a backyard hammock and enjoying the afternoon breeze, but how often do we actually find ourselves in one? Perhaps we all need a gentle reminder of all the great reasons to own, and enjoy, a hammock in the backyard.
1) Relaxation Above all else a hammock is about relaxation. The right hammock is soft, comfortable, and provides a gentle rocking motion that researchers have found lulls you into a deeper, better sleep than a bed ever could. Added tip: buy a “double hammock,” the extra size will provide even more room and comfort compared to a regular size hammock.
2) Escape Beds can also be relaxing, but there’s something that just feels different about a hammock. And that’s the “escape” factor. In your bedroom you can hear your phone, the TV is on, you’re surrounded by 4 walls, a ceiling, your mortgage, and all the other daily stresses of normal life. But a hammock evokes feelings of lying under palm trees, on a remote and distant island with nothing but the sound of gently lapping waves. You may still be in your backyard, but your mind is half a world away, and that’s what makes a backyard hammock so great.
3) Drip Dry Ever ran soaking wet from the lake and plopped down in bed to relax and dry off? Didn’t think so. But you can do that in a hammock. And if you’re smart enough to skip the “all-weather” solid fabric variety, and opt instead for an open-weave artisan made model from Mexico or Nicaragua, your wet trunks will easily drip dry through the hammock, with no wet mess to worry about or clean up later.
4) Sun, Wind, and Vitamin D! We’re not recommending homelessness, but a nap or two a week outdoors can do wonders for your health and well being. Studies have shown that time outdoors can reduce stress, boost your mood, and make you a generally happier and more balanced person. And a little extra time in the sun raises your levels of vitamin D, which helps you avoid infectious and autoimmune diseases as well as lowering your risk of cancer. And all you have to do is lay there!
5) Share a Drink, Book, Nap, or Swing Want to enjoy your hammock even more? Go tandem! Buy a double hammock, and invite a partner to hop in. With a large enough hammock there’s room for two. Just make sure they like to cuddle.